- A day of prayer and refreshment for Catholic high school spiritual life directors and chaplains, college campus ministers and parish youth ministers will be held at Ironstone Ranch Elizabethtown, August 13th. For information call 717-65-4804, extension 327.
- The Diocesan Summer Camp for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities needs volunteers to assist at its residential camp, Camp Kirchenwald, August 11th to 16th. For more information or to volunteer call Larry, 717-657-4804.
- The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Emmitsburg, Maryland offers Civil War Tours every Saturday at 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM through August 24th. Tickets can be purchased on-line (www.SetonShrine.org/civil-war-tour) or at the door.
- Join the Knights of Columbus and Archbishop Timothy Broglio, September 4th, Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, for the annual memorial Mass in honor of Father Vincent Capodanno. To be part of this blessed event call Terry at 717-657-3335.
- Are you or someone you know interested in entering into a relationship with God through the Catholic Church? If so, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R C I A) Program is a great place to start. For Information about RCIA at St. Margaret Mary Alacoque Parish, Harrisburg call 717-233-3062. Classes start September 5th.
- Does your marriage feel a little off track? Are life’s difficulties challenging your marriage? If so a Retrovaille (pronounced: Retro-Vi) can help. For information about the September 27th retreat in Mechanicsburg call 717-356-2185.
- Morning Star Pregnancy Services, Harrisburg is seeking a marketing and communications manager. Send resume or inquiries to lplummer@MorningStarClinics.com
- St Joseph Elementary School, York seeks both a part-time technology teacher and and after hours supervisor. To apply or for more information about either position call 717-755-1797.
- Lebanon Catholic School is seeking a Spanish teacher and a school nurse. The Job descriptions can be found on line at www.LebanonCatholicSchool.Org.
- The Program “Beginning Experience” is conducting a weekend at Camp Hebron, Halifax, November 8th to 10th for those suffering the loss of a spouse with the goal of providing help, healing and spiritual restoration. For information call Julie at 717-379-0800.
- You can help Catholic Charities' Foster Care Program by donating unused car seats and booster seats (Note: thay must be new). Better still, consider becoming a foster parent. To donate or to explore the possibility foster parenting call Nicole or Kathy at 717-564-7115.
- Parents interested in obtaining home schooling support in the Classic Catholic Tradition through Regina Caeli can contact Candice at 717-476-4054. The Academy information is at www.rcahybrid.org.
- A solemn high Traditional Latin Mass will be celebrated every Sunday at 1:30 PM at St. Joseph’s Parish, Lancaster. For more information visit www.lancasterlatinmass.com
- All are invited to join St. Joan of Arc’s pro-life committee every 1st Friday 6:00 - 7:00 pm in the St. Lucy Chapel praying for all the innocent unborn children lost to abortion.
- If you are hurting after abortion, consider attending a weekend Rachel's Vineyard Retreat!! For information go to http://RachelsVineyard.org or call 877-HOPE-4-ME (877-467-3463)
- Catholic men and women are needed to volunteer for a prison ministry team to visit Dauphin County and Camp Hill. The commitment is about 3 hours monthly. Call Terry at 717-512-0144 for more information.
- Are you choosing a school for your child? Consider Catholic Schools. To find out more contact a school near you by using the school finder at www.GoCatholicSchools.org. You’ll be happy you did!
- The Interfaith Shelter for Homeless Families needs fresh fruits and vegetables, cleaning supplies, trash bags, and more. Donate at the Diocesan Center or the shelter, 120 Willow Road, Harrisburg. Call 717-652-8740 before delivering.
- Mychal’s Message seeks to meet the basic needs of the homeless while restoring dignity with love. To learn more visit www.mychalsmessage.org or call Sharon at 717-203-0746.
- Is there stress in your marriage? Maybe a program specifically for married couples can help – It’s called Retrouville. For confidential information call 1-800-470-2230.
Holy Family Radio on Summer Dress while at Mass
The warmer months of the year makes it a good time for a reminder on modest attire when at church. Holy Family Radio suggests following the same rules for dressing as at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome:
They are for both men and women:
• Pants and skirts are long enough that the knees are covered when sitting.
• The shoulders are covered.
• No plunging necklines.
• Clothing is not tight. Clothing is to conceal, not reveal.
In a “nut shell,” while at the church, please dress modestly. We dress for church not for our own comfort, but to present ourselves to Our Lord.
Finally: In charity, do not correct anyone on their attire. If you do not approve of someone’s attire speak to a priest about it and he will approach the person if necessary.
We at Holy Family Radio remind us all that while on vacation, please care for your soul and go to Mass, be modest, always charitable and have a blessed Summer!
VOCATIONS – Quo Vadis and Fiat Days
Quo Vadis Days is for all young men ages 15 – 25 who may be discerning a vocation to priesthood or religious life. Quo Vadis Days for 2019 has already taken place. Quo Vadis Days for 2020 will be posted here when the information becomes available. Of course you can always call the Office of Vocations at 717-657-4804, for information on the priesthood.
Fiat Days is for all young women ages 15 – 25 who may be discerning a vocation to religious life. Fiat Days for 2019 has already taken place. Fiat Days for 2020 will be posted here when the information becomes available. Of course you can always call the Office of Vocations at 717-657-4804, for information on Religious Life.
A Pro-Life Mass is celebrated on the first Saturday of every month at 8 a.m. at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Church in Harrisburg. Following Mass, participants gather at Hillcrest Clinic, 2709 N. Front Street, Harrisburg, to pray the Rosary and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Breakfast follows. Call 717-432-5415 for information.
Rosary for America and the World
A Rosary for America and the world is prayed every second Saturday of the month at noon on the square in New Oxford.
PARISH & SCHOOL NEWS
St. Joan of Arc Young Adults Ministry
All young adults of St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church between the ages of 21-35, married or single are invited to the Young Adults Ministry meeting on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 7-8:30 pm in Meeting Room C. For more information, contact John in the Youth Office at 533-1721 or at email@example.com
SPECIAL / MISC.
Donations Needed For Interfaith Shelter
The Interfaith Shelter for Homeless Families (located in Harrisburg) is in need of the following donations: computer/copy paper, pens, Ziplock bags (gallon, quart, and sandwich sizes), napkins, paper towels, toilet tissue, Pine Sol, and bathrooms cleaners. For more information, contact the shelter at 717-652-8740. Thank you for your generosity!
St. Anne’s Retirement Community in Columbia is seeking volunteers to transport Catholic residents in their wheelchairs to and from Sunday morning Mass at 10:30 am. Requested: 2 hours of volunteering once a month, from approximately 9:45 am -11:45 am. To volunteer, contact Ken Giovanelli, Director of Pastoral Care, at 717-285-6121, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Prison Ministry Volunteers are needed for prison ministry includocommunion services at Dauphin County Prison on Thursdays and Saturdays. Other days are also appreciated. Contact Deacon Jim Doyle (343-1102) or e-mail OLBSDEACON@gmail.com to volunteer.
Read The Catholic Witness Online
Now You Can Read The Catholic Witness Online, wherever you go! Through a free e-mail service, you can receive the diocesan newspaper in an electronic format. Sign up for the e-mail service on the diocesan Web site at www.hbgdiocese.org. Follow the News/Events tab to The Catholic Witness page and click on Catholic Witness E-mail Sign Up. Once you complete the form, you will be added to our e-mail list. Each Friday that the newspaper is published, you will receive an e-mail with a direct link to the latest edition. Registration with the e-mail service will not cancel your mailed subscription. If you prefer to receive the online version instead of a copy in the mail, contact Circulation Coordinator, Susan Huntsberger, at email@example.com.
Interpretive Mass for people who are deaf. St. John Neumann Church 601 E. Delp Road, Lancaster, PA. Please join us on the first Sunday of each month at our regular 9 o'clock Mass for sign language interpretation for people who are deaf. Please sit in the center aisle, front row, left side facing the altar so that you may be visually in line with the interpreter. All are welcome. Marilyn Hoffman, Parish Advocate with Persons with Disability 569-8531 firstname.lastname@example.org
Catholic Charities Specialized Foster Care Training
Does Your Heart Break when the news of the day highlights how the traumatic events in a family affects the lives of their children? Our foster care children are victims of these tragic events. Will you take a stand and help us in providing permanence for them? Please join us for our next Training Series at Catholic Charities Specialized Foster Care with people just like you, who need to know more before they are ready to become a support for these children. Let the children know they are wanted. Please call Jeff at (717) 564-7115 or (800) 777-7003 or email email@example.com.